Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I smelled trouble.


I will answer all of your *burning* questions right now:
1) yes that is a bag of pee inside a sterile cup, inside a bag.
2) yes I took the picture while driving.
3) It's Isabelle's pee, not mine, that makes this picture ok to post (unless you are Isabelle at 14 reading this with a girlfriend. Sorry honey- it had to be done. Just be glad i didn't take a picture of the bag while you were wearing it! )
4) Isabelle has a urinary track infection (UTI).

Isabelle's pee has smelled like asparagus pee for about 3 days and my very wise mother said, "This is a symptom of a UTI." I was like really CRAP! Isabelle and I went to urgent care the next morning, however on the way Isabelle peed in her diaper. DOUBLE CRAP! Apparently the only way to test of a UTI is to pee in a cup. We tried to pee like a big girl in the cup but it wasn't happening. So 1 sterile baggie, 2 taped together butt cheeks and 3 other pieces of tape later the little miss was wearing a baggie to catch the pee. After an hour of sitting in the urgent care room the doctor sent us home with a prescription and a sterile cup, with strict instructions not to remove the baggie until she peed in it, then return it for testing. 1 crying mom and a 10 minute car ride home brought us to grandmas house. Where we had Popsicles and relaxed until Isabelle peed. Then the photo above was taken. Isabelle stayed with grandma, I dropped of the sample and went on my way. We received a call later in the day, positive, fill the prescription.

2 comments:

Scholar and Sailor said...

Oh, my. I felt bad for Iz, of course...but the image of her with butt cheeks taped together with the baggie contraption was so funny. Get well soon, Nizzer!

Rachel said...

I'm catching up on your blogs--I love reading them! The same thing happened with Evie when she was about 5-6 months old...she had a UTI and I sat in the doc's office for about an hour till she peed, however, they did a horrible job taping the bag to her, and I also got peed on...lovely! Poor Babies. Hope you are well!!! Hugs.