Tuesday, December 23, 2008

a tale of two tires

This little story will represent how me week so far has gone.

I went in the ditch on Saturday. No damage and everyone is OK, however, at that point I realized that the tires that I hoped were going to get me through the winter were not going to do the job. So we happened to have some snow tires in our shed from my old car. We were not sure if the tires would fit because they were on different rims and quite possibly could have been a different size but after 2 calls to Tire shops and Todd letting his fingers do the walking on the Internet we found out that they should work. Which was great news.
Monday morning I called a local tire shop and said " I need to have a "set' of tires put on my car. Is there anyway you could fit me in today." I was informed that if I could drop the car off they would have it done by the time I finished work. I even was offered a loaner car. This is where things begin to fall apart.
The loaner car is a MONSTER TRUCK. No even joking. It's a Jeep Cherokee with HUGE TIRES that are just barely road legal. JUST BARELY. I somehow hurl my round little bottom up in tho this machine and drive it in to work. At the end of the day I proceed to throw myself and my stuff into the monster truck and drive back out of town to the tire shop. I was in a hurry because I'm always in a hurry. I luckily make it safely back to the tire shop. Run in and ask how much it is and swiftly pay the owner and proceed out the door.
The owner yells after me, "Do you want your copy of the receipt?". Being trusting and naive I say "Nope, Thanks though and have a merry Christmas!" SO I hurry home to pick up my child from her grandmothers house and head home to feed her dinner. As I'm getting back in the car at my in laws house I notice that the back tires on my car seem to not have been changed. "That's Odd" I thought to myself. Maybe the old rims didn't fit so they put the snow tires on the current tires, which would have been OK. But then I glace to the front of my car. It's rim from the old car with the snow tire on it. It dawned on my at that moment what had happened.
There were two tire in the back seat of my car and two tires in the trunk. The people at the tire shop had only put on two of the 4 snow tires on the car because I did not specifically say "THERE ARE 2 TIRES IN THE BACK SEAT AND 2 TIRES IN THE TRUNK!" However what is even worse is that I suddenly was reliving the scene from just a moment ago, "DO you want your receipt?" DAMN DAMN DAMN, I could hear my fathers voice in my head, "Always take a receipt, and look at the work that was being done before you leave the shop." Stupid, stupid, stupid!
So this morning I called the tire shop again and they were able to fit me in right away.
Moral of this tale, listen to your fathers voice in your head!

No comments: